Monday, November 8, 2010

I Turned Down A Job!

Don't hate me... It's another post about JOBS!  But don't worry, this one is a tad bit more interesting, maybe?  

I turned down a paying job.  

Yep, it happened.  I turned down a paying job.  What in the world was I thinking?!  

Remember a few weeks ago when I posted a really whiny post about how stressed I was with my current unemployment status?  Well that day I applied for a ridiculous amount of retail positions.  Previously, I had sworn up and down that I wouldn't apply for retail positions but I decided I really just.needed.a.job- no matter what the job title.  A couple days later I got a call back by one of these retail stores.  The call caught me by surprise because 1) I had somehow completely forgotten that I had applied to this place and 2) I never answer my phone when I don't recognize the number calling (call me crazy, but I kind of hate talking on the phone period, so I usually avoid picking up when I don't know who is on the other line-but really, this is a whole other post on its own.)  The lady was very nice, asked me a few questions and pretty much offered me a seasonal position on the spot.  

Now normally someone in my shoes would be jumping with joy about the opportunity, but I wasn't.  First of all, part of the reason I decided to apply for retail positions was because I figured if I was going to work retail I'd at least pick a place I loved to shop so I could take advantage of the discount (hey, I'm just being honest here).  Well, the store that offered me the position isn't a clothing store, but more of a furniture/home goods store (may not be too hard to figure out what store I'm talking about, but I want to avoid using the name for obvious reasons!)  Not somewhere I really need or want a discount-at least not now.  

The bigger reason I wasn't sold on working for this particular store was the dozens of rules the manager gave me over the phone.  The biggest rule being that I would be expected to work anywhere between 25-40+ hours per week from now until the 1st week of January and I was not allowed to request any days off.  If I missed one shift I would automatically be fired and there was no "shift trading" among employees allowed.  

Now normally this wouldn't be any biggie.  I've never missed a day of work before (unless I had a legitimate reason and it was approved by the boss man), but my dad is coming to visit me for 5 days during Thanksgiving.  I explained this to the lady and asked if there was any way to work around some of those days, I'd even be willing to not start working until after he leaves.  She was nice but told me that wasn't possible.  She also told me that chances are pretty good I'd be working almost every single day he was here. 

Now, obviously if I had a legal position I would have no problem having my dad cancel his visit or just missing out on seeing him a couple of the days he was here, but I don't think I'm going to miss out for some job where I'm already miserable just listening to all of the rules, I won't be able to buy awesome clothes at a great discount, all while getting paid minimum wage for the next 8 weeks.

I realize that I picked a really bad time to apply for retail jobs- hello seasonal positions only.  If I'm still unemployed AFTER the holiday season I'll apply for retail positions and gladly accept minimum wage (and a good discount, hopefully?)
 

No comments:

Post a Comment